Issue 7.2 is now available!
The reading period for 8.1 begins December 15, 2023.
Ponder Review welcomes:
- Flash Fiction
- Creative Nonfiction
- Short plays
- New media
- Visual art
Required Format: Times Roman 12pt. All prose should be double-spaced. Poetry should be single-spaced. Include a brief (100 word) bio with your submission.
Ponder Review does not accept previously published material nor does it accept multiple submissions per issue. Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but contact Ponder Review immediately if your work has been accepted for publication elsewhere. Do not withdraw your entire submission unless you no longer want Ponder Review to consider it; instead send us an edit request if part of your submission was accepted elsewhere. Failure to follow these guidelines will result in your submission being denied. Please make all submissions through Submittable.
Ponder Review will notify writers and artists of their submission status via email. The reading and acceptance process can take up to 4 months. By submitting, writers grant Ponder Review permission to publish their work and acknowledge that Ponder Review is currently a non-paying market. Ponder Review requires first-time North American publishing rights and retains the right to reprint accepted submissions in subsequent anthologies even after publication rights have reverted back to author.
Accepted work is subject for use in any future anthologies, both digital and print, and Ponder Review asks that any reprints give first publication credit to Ponder Review.
Students and alumni of Mississippi University for Women may not submit to Ponder Review for at least 5 years post graduation or last enrollment.
While we accept past contributors in each reading period, Ponder Review asks that contributors wait one year post publication to submit to us again.
The 4th annual 10:4 TENN Ten-Minute Play Contest is OPEN!
Ponder Review, in partnership with the Tennessee Williams Tribute Festival, is launching our 4th annual 10:4 Tenn Playwright Contest! This competition seeks to recognize and honor the Southern experience and the legacy of Columbus’s native son, Tennessee Williams, through the craft of playwriting.
The top three playwrights will receive a cash prize, a festival pass, and have their 10-minute plays produced as a stage reading in front of a live audience at the Tennessee Williams Tribute Festival. Directors and actors will be students from the Mississippi University for Women Department of Theatre. First place winner will also be interviewed and the winning play published in the Fall issue of Ponder Review.
· Each play will be read by the staff of Ponder Review for the first round, then after carefully making their selections, the finalists will be sent off to the final judge, award winning playwright, Samantha Marchant who will decide the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners.
· Winners will be announced Spring/Summer 2024.
10:4 TENN 10-Minute Play Contest Submission Guidelines
· Plays must:
- Be maximum 10 minutes long (typically 10-12 pages) and inspired by the work of Tennessee Williams, the South, or southern experience loosely defined.
- Have a minimum of 2 and no more than 5 characters.
- Include character and set descriptions.
- Be submitted in Times New Roman 12pt font, double-spaced, in standard playwriting format.
· Gratuitous language or violence are not encouraged.
· Limit 1 play per playwright.
· Along with submission, include a bio and brief synopsis of the play.
· Musicals will not be accepted.
· Plays should be unpublished. Ponder Review requires first-time North American publishing rights and retains the right to reprint accepted submissions in subsequent anthologies even after publication rights have reverted back to author.
· By entering this contest, the playwright claims sole ownership of work submitted and accepts responsibility for any appropriated material. Mississippi University for Women and Ponder Review accept no liability for any work used without permission.
· Multiple and simultaneous submissions are accepted, but please contact Ponder Review if your work has been accepted for publication elsewhere.
· Manuscripts should contain no identifying information and must be submitted through Submittable only.
· Students and alumni of Mississippi University for Women may not submit to Ponder Review or the 10:4:Tenn Short Play contest for at least 5 years post graduation.
· Affiliates of the Tennessee Williams Tribute Festival and Mississippi University for Women are ineligible.
· Submissions will be accepted from September 16, 2023 until December 14, 2023.
Buy the most recent issue or purchase a subscription!
Purchase a single copy or a subscription.
For extra copies of a single issue, select the add-on fee for the number you want.
Hint: Add add-on payments together to get the number you want.
Postage is included for US — international postage can be added per copy below
If you want to send 2 or 3 subscriptions of the same year to different address, choose 2-Year or 3-Year Subscription and enter the other addresses in the Special Instructions field.
Photography, photo essay, graphic literature, painting, collage. Please submit a high resolution image.
- Photography, paintings, and collages: one submission of up to five images.
- Photo essay: one submission of 3,000 or less words and with up to five images.
- Graphic literature: one submission of eight or less pages.
Podcast, spoken word, interview, short film, animation, and hypertext or kinetic literature are considered for our website
- Podcast, spoken word, and interview
- Short film and animation
- Hypertext literature
- Kinetic poetry or prose
- Other: contact us to discuss
One submission of 3,000 or less words (1,500 – 3,000 words preferred).
One submission of up to three stories that combine to total no more than 1,000 words. No story may exceed 750 words. Submit in a single file.
Note: Please note the genre of your submission (CNF, Drama).
One submission of 3,000 or less words (1,500–3,000 words preferred).
Script excerpt or short play. One submission of 10–15 pages.